10-1050 CASUAL YOUTH LEADERS
Casual Youth Leaders
This job ad is being placed to compile a casual list of Youth Leaders. The City of Iqaluit’s Recreation Department is looking for enthusiastic and dynamic Youth Leaders who will work with teenagers implementing recreational programs for the Makkuttukkuvik Youth Centre and the Abe Okpik Hall afterschool program.
You will build relationships with youth, implementing a wide variety of programs, activities and special events while encouraging youth engagement. If you are a good role model, coach, mentor and motivator who leads by example, then we are looking for you!
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting in developing and implementing recreational programs at the centres and in the community
- Working directly with young people to develop their social skills through the delivery of programs and activities
- Interacting with youth at the centres while ensuring recreational facilities and equipment are properly used and maintained
- Providing support and casual counseling to youth as needed
- Promoting a safe, drug and alcohol-free environment by setting a positive example
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience working with youth in a recreational setting. (i.e. after-school programs, camps, coaching) is essential
- Degree or diploma from an accredited Recreation Program is preferred
- Exceptional communication skills
- CPR and First Aid certification
- Ability to work evenings and weekends
- Suicide prevention/intervention training is a definite asset
- The ability to communicate in Inuktitut is an asset
Due to the nature of this position, candidates must submit a Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check, as well as, a TB Test.
Casual Youth Leaders earn $28.00/hour plus 6% and an hourly settlement allowance if applicable.
CLOSING DATE: December 31, 2019 11:59pm
Please submit your resume and qualifications to:
Reference # 10-1050
P.O. Box 460
Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0
- The City of Iqaluit embraces the intent and spirit of the Nunavut Land Claims Agreement. Priority will be given to Nunavut Inuit; Candidates must clearly identify their eligibility in order to receive consideration under this agreement
- Only those selected to interview will be contacted